Mikael has worked with user innovations in three different research groups during the last ten years and he has published 10 int. peer reviewed journal articles, 20 conference papers, 5 book chapters, 7 reports in both user innovations and energy conservation. For details, see Google Scholar
Postdoctoral Researcher, Aalto Arts
DSc (Technology) 2013, Aalto University
MSc (Technology) 2002, Helsinki University of Technology.
Aalto University, School of Arts, Design and Architecture
- Postdoctoral Researcher, 1.3.2015–
Helsinki Institute for Information Technology
- Postdoctoral Researcher, 17.5.2013–31.12.2014
- Researcher & Doctoral Student, 1.6.2006–28.2.2010, 1.1.2011–16.5.2013
National Consumer Research Centre
- Senior Researcher, 1.10.2007–31.12.2010
Helsinki University of Technology, Software Business and Engineering Institute
- Research Assistant, Project Manager, Graduate Scholarship, Researcher 1.6.2000–31.8.2010
I have participated in the following research projects:
International (EU, Nordunet)
- Changing Behaviour, 2008-2010
- Cultural influences on Renewable Energy Acceptance 2007
- Privacy-in-the-making, 2006-2010
- Web-enabled Information Services for Engineering, 2001-2002
Academy of Finland
- User Innovation Pathways, 2011–2014
Industry-funded (KCL, Benefon)
- End-User Preferences in Product Concept Development, 2006-2007
- User Interface Specification Browser, 2000-2001
Tekes (Finnish Funding Agency for Technology and Innovation)
- Modeling and Simulating Changing Needs of Consumers, 2009-2010
- User Driven Open Innovation Booster, 2009-2010
- Mobile Content Communities, 2003-2006
- Virtual project room for user-centred design, 2000-2002
Eemil Aaltonen Säätiö
- User Innovation Communities, 2011–2014
- Keynote for NordDesign 2014 Conference, 10th biannual conference on design and development. http://nd2014.aaltodesignfactory.fi/
- Reviewer for CHI-conference, IT & People, Information, Communication, and Society, Science Studies, Kuluttajatutkimuskeskuksen vuosikirja
- Guest Editor for Human Technology Journal, special issue on design-use relationships in sociotechnical change
- Guest lectures related to my case study on user involvement in Habbo Hotel 2-5 per year
- Teaching assistant: Values in Design (2010), T-121.100 Introduction to User Centred Design (2004), T-121.310 User Interface Design Project (2001).
- Master’s Thesis Supervision: Sture Ismark, Åbo Akademi (Software Engineering), 2010. Juha Huuhtanen, Helsinki University of Technology (Usability Research), 2003
- Organising Committee (Student Volunteer Chair) MobileHCI 2006
- Student Volunteer: ECSCW 2003, NordiCHI 2004
- ACM Special Interest Group on Computer-Human Interaction in Finland, substitute member of executive committee, 2003–2005.
- Program Committee, 2nd International Workshop on Smart Appliances and Wearable Computing, IWSAWC 2002
Software and Web Development
Based on open-source platforms, Drupal and Joomla, I’ve built the following websites:
- energiakokeilut.fi (Showcase of New Energy Pilots, Demonstrations, Trials 2016)
- codesign.inuse.fi (CoDesign Journey Planner, 2015)
- mountaineering.inuse.fi (Visualization of rare subject search process, 2013)
- mechanisms.energychange.info (Interactive web toolkit for energy-efficiency project managers, 2010)
- http://www.energychange.info (EU-funded research project website and intranet, 2008)
- mobilehci.soberit.hut.fi (MobileHCI ’06 conference website)
- mc2.soberit.hut.fi (Research project subwebsite 2005)
Main job (2015–): CTO, Pressdoor, a startup in stealth mode with the aim of solving micropayments for newsmedia.
Member of a website development working group at Tekniska föreningen i Finland since 2004, taking part in website specifications and negotiations with web service providers such as Innofactor and Enfo.
Part-time IT-strategy consultant for small organizations since 2010 at Zebros Digital Media.
Website design for student associations: Åbo Nation (1997), Teknologföreningen (1997), Teknologorkestern Humpsvakar (1996), Didacta (1998).
I have also worked as software developer, project manager, and usability expert with Delphi, Visual Basic, and Borland C++ Builder:
- SoberIT / UISB project 2001: developer and project manager, 6 months
- Polycon Ab 1995-99: developer and usability expert, summer and part-time job